Join the WinVUG
Gary Olsen here. Microsoft Directory Services MVP.
My colleagues and I started the Atlanta Windows
Infrastructure and Virtualization
User Group (WinVUG) in March of 2009 and we’ve had great
We currently have over 200 members, joining from as far away as
Ohio and Indiana. We meet on a monthly basis on "Patch Tuesday," the
2nd Tuesday of each month from 7:00pm to 9:00pm. Typically, 1
speaker presents on timely technical topics. There is plenty
of food, prizes and we have a great time. For those unable to meet
in person, remote access to each meeting is also provided.
What are the benefits of joining the
Well for starters its all Free! Free! Free!
- Free to Join: There is no membership fee
- Free to All: Our meetings offer Remote Access via Live Meeting.
- Free Food: Pizza, sandwiches, snacks, and drinks are always
- Free Prizes: We always have lots of goodies to give away.
Prizes have included
hundreds of technical books from MSPress, O’Reilly, Wiley and
Syngress. Software such as Office, Windows 7.
T-shirts, mice, mugs etc.
- Free Books: O’Reilly publishers offers WinVUG members any
O'Reilly book (even some from Microsoft Press) for free in exchange for a review on Amazon. No limit but you can only get one at a time.
- Free Knowledge: Use members as resources to ask questions and find solutions to problems; and find consultants to assist in projects.
- We have a SharePoint site to share technical information with group members.
Even More Free Stuff!
- In 2009 all of our members received either a free 1 year
TechNet Plus subscription courtesy of Microsoft.
- In 2010, 2011 and 2012 Microsoft gave us a group TechNet Plus subscription for
our members to share.
- Don’t want a write a book review? Members get 40% off the
price of all MS Press books and 50% off MS Press EBooks at
- Members get a 40% discount on technical books from Wrox
- Members get a 40% discount on technical books from Syngress.
Great People and Great Events!
- We have a SharePoint site where we can share technical information with group members.
- Bi-Monthly WinVUG Newsletter and occasional emails informing you of meetings, special deals (no advertising!!), technical notes and news. These always come from me and are sent BCC.
- Our meetings are typically the 2nd Tuesday of each month, with occasional exception depending on speaker availability. Meetings are held monthly from September to May with summers off (June-August) as members are vacationing and less available.
- Our summer meeting is dubbed the “Techstravaganza” where we reserve
a training facility for a half day of speakers, hands on labs, demos, etc.
- And what would a Techstravaganza be without prizes. Last year there
was over $1000 in prizes including an fully loaded xbox360
- We’ve had presentations on many subjects including:
- Active Directory Troubleshooting
- Group Policy and GP Preferences Troubleshooting
- New DNS Features in Windows 2008/R2
- DNSSEC (secure DNS)
- Exchange 2010
- AD New features
- DirectAccess with 2008R2/Windows
- Small Business Server 2008
- Virtual Machine provisioning on Hyper-V
- VSphere 5
- Public speaking
- and much more
Want to eat, listen, laugh and learn? Come be our guest!
Want to participate or be a speaker? Even better!
We have a lot of room to grow and would love to include you in our group.
We are always looking for new topic ideas, new speakers and ways to improve.